Call for Volunteers - Family Promise Week September 15-22
For a few weeks each year, through the Family Promise program, our historic Cathedral opens its doors to become home to a handful of families that have temporarily become homeless. Family Promise of Jacksonville is a nonprofit, interfaith hospitality network providing temporary assistance and case management for families with children experiencing homelessness. Family Promise has an 85% success rate in getting families back into homes. Our church building and our congregation are a big part of that success.
During the weeks that we host, St. John’s welcomes two to three homeless families with open arms. Taliaferro Hall becomes a family dining room with Cathedral volunteers providing weekday dinners. During these dinners, guest families share experiences and laughs, and many will share their stories with their Cathedral hosts. At night, our Sunday school classrooms are transformed into bedrooms and living rooms. In the morning, Family Promise staff arrive to pick up the families and take the kids to school.VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES SEPTEMBER 15-22
- Buying Groceries. Family Promise office provides a list of the groceries they need for the families who eat breakfast and lunches at the Family Promise offices. Volunteers buy items and drop them off at the church office before the families arrive.
- Fixing an Evening Meal. During the day, the families are at work, school or at the Family Promise office. They arrive back at Taliaferro Hall about 6 p.m. for dinner. Volunteers
prepare a meal each evening and set the tables for dinner. Also, dinner volunteers often get to know the families over dinner and help with clean up.
- Packing Lunches. On Saturday and on Sunday (when families depart to another church), they take bag lunches and drinks with them. Volunteers buy the lunch items, bags and drinks and leave in the kitchen for the families to pick up.
- Spending the Night. Families enjoy their meal and then generally head upstairs to their
rooms for homework, showers, etc. Nighttime hosts arrived by 7:30 to get settled in Ingram Lounge. Families leave between 6 and 7 a.m. the next day and many times are gone before the hosts even arise.
- Hang out for a few hours on the weekend. Families arrive on Sunday, September 15, at
1 p.m. and depart the following Sunday after church. On Sunday and Saturday afternoons, we need volunteers to stay in Ingram Lounge from 2 - 5:30 p.m. while families are in the building. You can bring a good book, a video or spend time in quiet meditation.
- Other. Other activities or ideas to make our families feel more comfortable during their stay with us are welcome.
If you have questions regarding MEALS OR BAG LUNCHES, or to sign up to help with those,
contact Lynn Doiron, 904-703-0847.
If you have any questions regarding GROCERIES, or to sign up to help with those, please contact Gloria Miller, 904-654-9426.
If you have questions or are interesting in HOSTING OVERNIGHT OR ON A WEEKEND, or are just interested in joining the families for dinner, please contact Brooks Moore, 904-382-8981. Thanks!
Brooks, Lynn and Gloria
Family Promise Co-Chairs
Tags: Calendar News Newsletter / Local Outreach