Christian Formation 2020
Formation for Transformation: The Way of Discipleship
Christian formation is the lifelong process of growing in our relationship with God, self, others, and all creation. Every experience in our lives can provide us with the opportunity to express our faith; the challenge we face is recognizing these opportunities and learning ways to live a sometimes counter cultural life in a secular world.
At St. John’s we offer many opportunities for people of all ages and stages to come together every day of the week, to “read, mark, and inwardly digest” the Word of God, the Love of Christ and the many different ways to express our faith. We believe that through Christian Formation we can be agents of Transformation and thus our logo: Formation for Transformation.
Please join us in one or two or any number of these formation opportunities.
If you have any questions about any of the offerings, please contact Owene Courtney, Director of Formation and Spirituality.
Adult Formation 10 – 10:50 a.m.
- Dean’s Forum – Taliaferro Hall – 30 minute lecture and 15+ minutes table fellowship
From January through May, at 10:00 am on Sunday mornings, we will embark on an in-depth study of the first book of the Bible, the book of Genesis. Each Sunday in worship, we will read a passage from Genesis which will coincide with the lecture for the day. I want to take you on a journey, to return to the very first book of the Bible, to the inception of the relationship between God, humanity and the earth with an eye toward the events of our present day and with a hope for guidance for the future.The human race is not living harmoniously with the earth and its creatures. We must return to our roots and reexamine why we were made, for what purpose, and the nature of our relationship with both God and with the world that God has made.
It is my belief that the wisdom of the Scripture lies in its ability to speak beyond time, its ancient wisdom was meaningful thousands of years ago and yet still relates directly into the present moment. Whether you take the texts to be literally true or not, the fact is that the Bible contains a kind of truth that is transformative and life-changing. It is God’s word not because a pen came down from heaven to write it, but because it was inspired by God through the minds and hearts of human beings. And because living in relationship with these stories can reorient us as to the reason we are here, why God made us and what purpose we are called to serve in our time on earth.
Youth Formation – 10 – 11 a.m.
- 6 – 8 grades – Rite 13 Undercroft
- 9 – 12 grades – Journey to Adulthood in Room 304
Children’s Formation 10 – 10:50 am
- Children’s Chapel – During 9 am service. Children follow the cross to Children’s Chapel and then return during the peace
- Godly Play
- Grade 4 – 5 Tweens – Room 302
3 – 4’s – Room 104
K – 2nd – Room 103
Nursery – 9 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. Ingram Lounge (temporary location)
- Yoga – 5:45 – 7:00 Cummings Chapel
- Education for Ministry – 6:30 – 8:30 (for more information speak to Joe and Laura Shields or Jay Wright)
- Wednesday – Wonderful Wednesday Supper 5 p.m. and Classes 6 p.m. unless noted
- The Painting Place - 6:30 – 8:30 – Painting Room
- Walk in Love Episcopal Practices and Beliefs | Cummings Chapel-Joe O’Shields
- Youth Programs – Youth Room
- Green Spirits Educational Series – Second Wednesday each month | Taliaferro
- Let’s Talk Civil Discourse – Third Wednesday each month | Ingram
- Shakespeare Reading Group 9:30-11:30 a.m. Ingram Lounge
- Daughters of the King Bible Study
- Quiet Garden Mornings 9:30 a.m. – 12 p.m., Room 305, Cummings Chapel or off campus - 2nd Saturday of the month. See website for Center for Prayer and Spirituality for more information.
- 12- Step Adult Children of Alcoholics 9:30-10:30 a.m. Room 305
- 11-Step Meditation 9:30 – 10:30 a.m., Bernie Dooly Library Room 301 (2nd Saturday)
- River City Mindfulness Group facilitated by Lisa Duncan – Saturdays, 10:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Deepening our life in Christ is an ongoing journey that continues through all of our lives. Adult Christian formation is all about living into the fullness of God. Christian formation is the process of growing in our relationship with God, self, others and all creation. It involves the planting of small seeds, the nurturing and watering of the ground of each of our lives, so t…Read More »
Our Children and Youth ministries recognize that there is more than one way to play, and one way to learn, in God's kingdom.